I was initially having problems getting my Z77X-UD5H motherboard’s onboard audio hardware (ALC 898) to work with Mac OS X El Capitan on my workstation. Although the VoodooHDA audio driver provided playback, the input was not functional (ie, no microphone), and I heard a lot of white noise when the volume was on the higher side. I wanted a more complete solution.[vc_toggle title=”El Capitan 10.11.5 Method” open=”true”]
- Mount your Clover partition
- Open Clover Configurator
- Navigate to the appropriate Clover config file on your EFI partition
- Verify that you’ve removed all existing audio patches under Kernel and Kext Patches
- Visit Toleda’s Realtek ALC AppleHDA Guide
- Scroll down to “II. Realtek ALC AppleHDA Scripts”
- Follow #3 (audio pikeralphaALC), run the script, and restart your computer.
Open a terminal and type the following:
curl -o ~/AppleHDA8Series.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker-Alpha/AppleHDA8Series.sh/master/AppleHDA8Series.sh
chmod +x ~/AppleHDA8Series.sh
Select the desired codec (#6 in this case), and accept the use of layout-id #1 (type ‘y’ when prompted). You’ll move the newly generated kext into your Library/Extensions folder.
sudo mv AppleHDA898.kext /Library/Extensions/AppleHDA898.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions/AppleHDA898.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/AppleHDA898.kext
Now let’s rebuild the system caches.
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
Now navigate to your System/Library/Extensions folder and search for HDAEnabler.kext or VoodooHDA.kext. Remove these if noted. Then restart your computer and the audio should be working. :-)[/vc_toggle]